[K12OSN] FF and big images freeze

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Sat Sep 9 00:57:30 UTC 2006

Mella,

You probably don't have enough ram in the terminals.

Firefox asks the Xserver to allocate ram for images and fonts.  The
problem is, Firefox never tells the Xserver that it's Ok to release the
memory, even long after you've left the page that is being viewed.

So, Firefox keeps asking, and the Xserver keeps allocating until it
finally runs out of ram.  Bigger images will do it more quickly.

Once the Xserver allocates all available ram, bad things happen.
Sometimes the kernel kills the Xserver, sometimes the network stack
locks up, sometimes the workstation just freezes.

So, I suggest you try turning on Swap over NBD.

with k12ltsp, it should be as simple as:

      USE_NBD_SWAP = Y

in the lts.conf file.

That is, assuming you are using K12LTSP-5.0.0.  If you are using an
older version, then you'll need to turn on swap over NFS (instead of NBD).

The parameter for that is:

    USE_NFS_SWAP = Y

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan