[K12OSN] most terminals unable to connect after yum update

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Sat Sep 9 03:02:58 UTC 2006

>> :-)
>> >

>> One more tidbit: VNC also gets the gray screen with X. That is true for
>> VNC from the outside and for the local (as in "vncviewer localhost").
>> This
>> is quickly becoming a nightmare.
>> julius
>
> General Troubleshooting:
>
> * Do the same clients get the grey screen and same clients get to gdm
> across reboots?
i'm not able to establish this for sure, but a few are definitely
repeating across resets of gdm

> * Does swapping ethernet cables/ports on the switch between working and
> non-working clients cause any changes?  (I doubt this is the problem
> but...)
tried in desperation, no joy

> * Since the non-working clients are coming up with X, they are getting a
> network connection, dhcp, PXE, and nfs.  But something is failing after
> that.  If you look in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf are there any sections
> for specific workstations or do they all fall under the Default
> configuration?
lts.conf has now only one terminal defined with shell and sshd in addition
to X, all others run default

> * Are there any messages in /var/log/secure or /var/log/messages on the
> server?  If you have selinux enabled, look in /var/log/audit/audit.log
> or run `audit2allow -i /var/log/audit/audit.log`
i don't have selinux enabled, so no audit log. log/secure and log messages
seem fine - stations go into init level 5. the only big error comes up
with sshd on my test station :-)
i'll look some more into selinux - it was set to warning only at install,
might have changed. set selinux to permissive, no joy.

> * Are ping times from the server to the clients normal?
yes, very fast turnaround

> * Are the non-working clients different from the working clients or do
> you have a homogenous network?
yes, all via boards

> * Are you running networked authentication?
no

> * If you run iftop on the server or another tool to analyze the network
> traffic, are you saturating the LAN connection?
no

> -Toshio

Toshio, thank you for the very well organized list - I'll actually write
it up for my little helpers. Unfortunately I have checked all the stuff on
the list, other than security, earlier.

Doug Simpson suggestion: "Set XDMCP Enable=true in the gdm.conf" has been
incorporated from the very beginning.

I am putting my answers within Toshio's text.
julius