[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 16:56:05 UTC 2006

Well, my guess is that "this" is K12LTSP (you aren't clear). If so then the
answer is yes, I am running it as I type this on the the VMWare Server host.

I have K12LTSP v5.0.0 installed from ISO images as a Virtual Machine under
VMWare v1.0. The server host is a Dell Optiplex 240 with a 1.7Ghz CPU 1GB RAM
and a 160GB HD running Fedora Core 4. I use this for testing and development,
not production; it isn't big/powerful enough for more than a couple of
clients, since I use the host as my primary workstation too.

The virtual LTSP server is allocated 384MB RAM and 16GB disk. In addition to
the LTSP server, I have an additional virtual machine set up as a diskless
client: all you need is to change the VM's boot order to use PXE first, the
rest is just like a "real" diskless terminal.

VMWare server is wonderful. It is also free. Two caveats: 1) Fedora is not
officially supported as the Server Host but works fine as long as you have
your kernel sources installed to generate new kernel modules; adding
"kernel*" to your /etc/yum.conf exclude list will prevent breaking VMWare on
updates. 2) by default on booting the server host computer, ALL of your
defined virtual machines will be started. That is OK for the designed purpose
of VMWare Server, but I have many more virtual machines defined than I could
possibly run simultaneously, so I commented out these lines in
my /etc/rc.d/init.d/vmware script:

#  if [ "`vmware_product`" = "wgs" -o "`vmware_product`" = "vserver" ];then
#         if [ -e $vmware_etc_dir/vm-list ]; then
#            vmware_exec 'Starting VMware virtual machines...' \
#               "$vmdb_answer_SBINDIR"/"$serverd" -s -d
#         fi
#      fi

This way I can pick which machine(s) I want to start in the VMWare Server
console. I have Windows (2000 and XP pro), FreeBSD, IPCop, pfsense, and
several Fedora virtual machines for various purposes (mail server, groupware
server, jabber server etc). Virtual machines are ideal for developers and
system integrators.

Running VMWare server allows be to build virtual machines that can be run by
"VMPlayer" on a Windows 2000 or XP PC. I have a Fedora Core 5 virtual
machine, built on my machine, installed on my wife's office computer, just in
case I need to work from there. I haven't used Windows as a primary desktop
since 1995, and I'm not going back :-}

On Saturday 09 September 2006 12:00, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:22:11 -0700
> From: "Mel Wade" <mel at melwade.com>
> Subject: [K12OSN] Virutal Server
> To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
>         <k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> Has anyone put this in a Virutal Server (VMware)?  I'm getting ready to do
> this and just wondered if there is anything I should look out for before I
> begin.
>
> --
> Mel Wade
> "The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF
> Skinner
> www.melwade.com

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |