[K12OSN] Teacher access to teacher tool

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 22:17:56 UTC 2006

On 9/9/06, Dan Visentin <visentind at hdsb.ca> wrote:

>  OK... teachers still cannot control, broadcast, etc.
> Error is "Opening password file failed"
>
> Here's what I have done:
>
> created a "teachers" group and made all teachers members
> logged in as root
> ran vncpasswd
> changed password
> executed #cp -R -p /root/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/  (folder is present
> etc)
> ran visudo
> added line "%teachers  ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/sbin/fl_teachertool"

make sure you hit enter after this line.

made sure X4_MODULE_02 = vnc was uncommented in lts.conf

> teachers still cannot control, broadcast, etc. same error

How are the teachers launching fl_tt?
They have to launch it with

sudo /usr/sbin/fl_teachertool

or make an alias for them if that's easier. But it seems like you did
everything right.

As a shot in the dark, I tried the following:
> made the following changes in build_x4_cfg to reflect recommendations on
> fl_teachertool website:

I don't think you need to do this with K12LTSP 5.0
I would leave things stock.

#if [ "$VNC_MODULE_LOADED" ]; then
> #   echo '           Option "httpdir" "/usr/share/vnc/classes"'
> #   echo '           Option "PasswordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"'
> #   echo '           Option "rfbport" "5900"'
> #   echo '           Option "usevnc"'
> #fi
>
> # commented out if statement above to try fl-teacher website config
> #=========================================
> # Added to enable Monitor/Control in Fl_TeacherTool
>    Option "httpdir" "/usr/share/vnc/classes"
>    Option "PasswordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
>    Option "rfbport" "5900"
>    Option "usevnc"
> #=========================================
>
> Still same error
>
> I even tried to give the teachers group permissions to read/write
> /opt/ltsp/i386/root/.vnc folder and passwd file.  This resulted in a new
> error "no password configured for VNC Auth".

It should work without giving teachers group access to this dir. The fact
that the teachers are running fl_tt with sudo priviliges should take care of
this. Again, I would leave things stock.

Suggestions?

> Dan Visentin
> M. M. Robinson H.S.
> "As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing."

Robert Arkiletian