[K12OSN] Kernel panic....

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 21:51:37 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, Richard Mccue <rmccue at law.uvic.ca> wrote:
> Had a nice surprise this morning...  My K12LTSP 4.2 (I think 4.2...
> It is the Fedora Core 4 version in any case) froze over the weekend,
> so I rebooted and during the boot up was confronted with the
> following error message:
>
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> Red Hat nash version 4.2.15 starting
>    Reading all physical volumes. This may gtake a while...
>    Found volume group "volGroup00" using matadata type lvm2
>    2 logical volume(s) in volume group "volGroup00" now active
> JBD: IO error reading journal superblock
> EXT3-fs: erro lodaing journal.
> mount: error 22 mounting ext3
> ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
> error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
> error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
> error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill int!
>
> I'm hoping to avoid a reinstall... Any ideas on how to get this up
> and running?

If it was me, I'd try a Linux rescue CD (one comes with Fedora).

First, I'd try to see if it would mount the filesystem.  If not, then
I'd run "badblocks -v" on the entire partition (if any errors exist,
then the hard drive is dying), followed by an e2fsck using an
alternate superblock (IIRC, the first one is usually 32768, then
98304, 163840, etc, so try with 98304 as the superblock, as in "e2fsck
-b 98304 /dev/mapper/volumename").

If e2fsck (with the alternate superblock) checks out OK, and badblocks
returns errors, then you need to copy that data to another drive ASAP.
If I understand the man page for "mount", if, say, superblock 98304
was good, then you'd do "mount -o sb=3 /dev/mapper/volumename
/mnt/tmp" (or wherever you create a temporary mounting point).

Calvin