[K12OSN] OT: still have sluggish system

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 14:20:43 UTC 2006

Update on system sluggishness.  Over the last few days, more troubleshooting seems to indicate that the issue is somehow tied into authentication.  nscd is (still) constantly dying on the authentication server.  Also, there are literally over a thousand ldap entries showing up in the output from netstat on the sluggish system.  Many are in a CLOSE_WAIT state.  On a reboot, there are just a couple but after 20-30 logins, it starts going up quickly.

At this point, I am going to run Matt's ldap script on the 'new' FC5 K12LTSP server and just move authentication over to it.  Hopefully this will be straightforward.  I have some concerns with authentication on my Windows systems (issues with latest version of samba), but ... what the heck,  who needs sleep. ;)

Thanks for the advice, it has helped to point out some possible issues.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

From: Huck <dhuckaby at paasda.org>