[K12OSN] OT: still have sluggish system

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Sep 13 13:32:40 UTC 2006

Now I'm confused....you're telling us that the windows server hits 100%
CPU use when 10 users log in or 10 users start to use Type to Learn?  So
why are we looking at the K12LTSP box as the culprit?  Assuming you don't
use Type to Learn or Windows Terminal Services....is everything else OK?
In other words does K12LTSP work OK without using Windows TS?  Let's
narrow it down to the machine first.  As for the dhcp configuration
mystery....Eric simply defined it in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd....you can
define any file to be the dhcpd configuration file in there.  Are you
assuming the K12LTSP server upgrade is at fault?  Did you update anything
on the Windows server around the same time?  (I'm not accusing...simply
walking you through a process)  I have a K12LTSP v5 setup with Samba/LDAP
(running on a different machine...not the K12LTSP server) and a Windows TS
with no issues.  It is entirely possible that a patch in Windows caused
the issue.  If nothing else is a problem on the K12LTSP server....it's
quite possible the issue doesn't lie with the K12LTSP server.  I'm stumped
as to how anything from the K12LTSP server would cause the Windows Server
CPU to go nuts....

Just another note of wisdom....quit patching the system all the time....if
it's working leave it alone  ;-)  Been bitten by that bug before.  Keep
the servers behind a firewall and you'll be fine for the most part.

One more question...and maybe this has been asked....is the K12LTSP server
at version 5?  If so is it a fresh install or a yum upgrade or something?

"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>I have noticed with ntop that a alot of thin clients show up as
>multihomed.  Not sure why since they only have one entry in the
>dhcp-k12ltsp.conf file.   Also, some of them have rather high values for
>NFS(???),  but this is not specified anywhere in the lts.conf file.  The
>only other change was using glx, I have disabled that as well.
>
>Selinux is not enabled.  I have used all of the suggestions from all of
>the responses received.   Also, did ethtool -K eth0 tso off as well.
>There was a post from early July on another list that watchdog may be an
>issue, but ... not disabling that I think.
>
>So ... I am left with no idea what is going on.  However, the Tech Coord
>and I have been here since 7pm (it is now 2am) testing various options
>with rdesktop and using our backup K12LTSP server as well (running FC4
>release).   Not sure what we have actually ruled out :( but at least we
>know the behavior is the same with FC5 and the prior version at this
>point.
>
>The basic issue is that for the last 3 years, we have been using
>Type-to-Learn via rdesktop to our student terminal server very
>successfully.  Now, after upgrading, once we reach about 9 users, the
>Windows Terminal server hits 100% CPU  and everything comes to a halt.
>Previously, we were running without issues with 30 users (and as many as
>40 on occasion), server was still reaching 100%, but it worked.  The
>windows systems  are also fully patched.
>
>So, in about 6 hours, the kids start arriving again, and ...we still
>can't use TTL.  The tech teacher is ready to scream, as am I.  Not sure
>what my next step is at this point.   I could rebuild the windows system
>but what will that buy me.  The only thing I can think of is that either
>a hotfix changed something on the windows system, or ... perhaps the most
>recent version of rdesktop may be the issue (it was release last March?)
>or ... I need to revert to the 2.4 kernel for the thin clients (just
>thinking/musing out loud).  Oh, well, time to go get about 3 hours of
>sleep.
>
>Again, thanks ... I just hope this can be resolved soon, before the
>parents start to get upset.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School