[K12OSN] FUSESMB - was SSHFS and RSA keys

Bert Rolston bert.rolston at clear.net.nz
Thu Sep 14 06:41:59 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Well after some deep thought (not the Hitchikers Guide kind) and a bit
of searching I've found an alternative that uses the best of SMB and
FUSE.

If someone told me about this, I'll apologise now. I either forgot or
missed your post.

So here's what I found.

===========

FUSESMB - it mounts your SMB domain on a mountpoint in your Linux
filesystem. So in effect I can browse my domain using KONQUEROR just
like MS Network Neighbourhood.

Here's the URL - http://www.ricardis.tudelft.nl/~vincent/fusesmb

It even has an RPM package for FC5.

Yeah I know this is similar to the IO Slave in KDE, but it is faster, it
only requires one line in a bash script, and it allows apps like Open
Office to access the files. The IO Slave in KONQUEROR doesn't work with
Open Office.

So here's what I had to do.

==========================
FUSESMB

Before installing fusesmb you MUST have the other FUSE packages
installed from the Fedora Core repository.

1) Using your preferred method, install the fusesmb package from
http://timeoff.wsisiz.edu.pl/rpms.html#fusesmb

I just clicked on the package link in Mozilla, and let it install that
way.

Fusesmb is a simple command line tool, so you won't see any menu
entries.

2) Run fusesmb from a terminal session. This will create a .smb folder
in the user's home folder. This is important for storing the
fusesmb.conf file.

3) Create the fusesmb.conf file in the ~/.smb folder.

	For more info, and a good example you can man fusesmb.conf

	Here's my fusesmb.conf.

	; Global settings
	[global]

	; Default username and password
	username=<username>
	password=<user password>

	; List hidden shares
	showhiddenshares=false

	; Connection timeout in seconds
	timeout = 600

	;Interval for updating new shares in minutes
	interval = 1

	Make sure permissions are set to 600 once you have finished
	editing it.

3) Create a simple bash script. Here's a copy of mine, mounting the
domain into a folder in my home directory called "My Network folders"

	#!/bin/bash
	fusesmb ~/"My Network folders"

4) Copy the bash script into ~/.kde/Autostart

5) Log out and log back in.

	Using KONQUEROR, browse ~/<prefered mount point>
	(eg. ~/"My Network folders") and you should see the domain.
	Click on Domain, and you should see all the windows/SMB
	machines in the domain.

To unmount the fusesmb filesystem simply type in the following command
in a terminal session.

fusermount -u <path to your mount point>

Hope this is helpful to someone else.

Cheers,
Bert