[K12OSN] disklessworkstations.com

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 19:29:50 UTC 2006

On Friday 15 September 2006 12:00, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> My mistake, I meant to say power wattage. We have a small study room with
> eight new Dell Optiplex PC's that kicks out a lot of heat. As a result the
> room gets very hot with the PC's on. I suspect these workstations have very
> small power requirements which translate to less heat being exhausted and
> cooler rooms.
>
> Ray

I actually measured the power consumption of the LTSP150e by using "apcupsd"
and an APC UPS.

In this sample case the PC is a 450Mhz Pentium II with 256MB of RAM and a 20GB
HD with a 15" LCD monitor. The terminal was measured with the same 15" LCD
monitor.
		Power Draw in VA (Volt-Amps) measured with "apcupsd"

	PC		120VA

	Terminal	60VA

Keep in mind that the PC was "idle". Consumption goes up when the drives are
in use. This represent not only savings direct consumption, but also from
power protection costs are halved and air-conditioning costs are marginally
reduced.

I am convinced that using old PCs as terminals is best thought of as a
short-term strategy; best used to demonstrate the versatility of LTSP, but
long-term I definitely think that dedicated diskless terminals are the way to
go. Another example is the DevonIT NTA 6020P, which is functionally similar
the the LTSP150 but costs only $149.

	http://www.ntavo.com/ntaterminal.php

I have one of each and they both work with USB Flashram Drives (USB v1.1) and
Esound. Either one would make anyone administering LTSP very happy.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |