[K12OSN] anybody used LinuxBIOS?

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Sun Sep 17 03:22:19 UTC 2006

Rob Owens wrote:
> www.linuxbios.org
>
> The stuff on their website is a little bit above me
> right now, but it seems to say that among other
> things, you can reflash your bios with their code and
> make your computer boot over the network.  This would
> be a great way to make cheap thin clients even
> cheaper.
>
> Has anybody tried it?  Or does anybody have the
> knowledge and guts to be the first one on this list to
> try it?  If so, please let me know how it works (and
> how you did it).

I know the Linuxbios guys.  VERY smart.  I think they breath different
air than the rest of us :)

The thing about LinuxBios is that it takes them about 4 months to
engineer a bios for a new motherboard.  And, each motherboard is VERY
different from the next.   And, they don't usually get any cooperation
from the motherboard or chipset manufacturers.

Their primary focus is on server class motherboards that would be used
in a rack of cluster nodes.  They want to be able to boot clusters very
quickly, and if one fails, they want to be able to access the ram before
it gets re-initialized on a reboot.

So, don't count on Linuxbios showing up in thin clients anytime soon,
unless the thin client manufacturers begin to cooperate with reliable
specs and lots of information.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org