[K12OSN] K12LTSP @ Alabama Education Technology Association Conference

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 14:36:42 UTC 2006

Hello Ronald,

Last summer, I had the pleasure of presenting at the North Central
Linux Symposium where we discussed K12LTSP.  You can download a copy
of my presentation as well as those of others at
http://www.nclinux.net/cgi-bin/webgenie.cgi?button=97

I think there are two critical things.  First, make sure that when you
are expounding on the benefits of open source that you are doing so
from an open source platform.  In other words, do your presentation in
Open Office Present rather than MS PowerPoint.  It's also a good idea
to have a small setup for others to see and use.  I think sets of
K12LTSP disks/dvds and/or Ubuntu (or any other distribution) are also
a good way to give people an excuse to try open source.

So far as teacher tool, I seemed to get a lot of attention in my
presentation when I described some of the ways it has benefited me in
the past.  I like to play around with my students to make a point.
For example:  One girl was typing a hotmail letter when she should
have been working on her website.  I took control of her computer via
teachertool, finished her e-mail for her "I'm sorry, I have to get to
work on my website now.", and sent it.  She didn't bother doing
hotmail in class again.  Killing games right before a high score is
achieved is another great way to get a point across.

Good luck!

Eric