[K12OSN] Re: LDAP rebuild question (dahopkins at comcast.net)

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Thu Sep 21 15:59:33 UTC 2006

>>I can log on with any of the Linux LDAP accounts....
>> BUT ... su - student01 just hangs.  Same with any account.

>You can log in but not 'su - <account>'? That's odd. What happens if
>you type CTRL-C during the time when it's "hung"?

It eventually kills the command and returns a prompt

>Yeah, you can't use the normal system tools to change smbldap
>passwords; you have to use the smbldap-passwd script instead of
>passwd.

I really should remember this.

Actually, the system is even stranger now.  Some users (not all) can log onto clients that are attached to the other K12LTSP servers which are using the new authentication server. But ... they cannot log on if the LTSP client is booted from the LDAP server. It seems that the server can't authenticate it's own requests. Que sera.  I am willing to start over on Saturday and just try it all again.  Still, could I do a ./smbldap -t bdc and make the new system the BDC (see other list email) and then convert it to a PDC?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins