[K12OSN] Open Office

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Thu Sep 21 17:08:28 UTC 2006

Mel, I used those Southwestern books and I agree they were very good to
teach MS-OFFICE from...and for the most part when learning an
application you MUST DO in order to learn.

But the concepts of word processing and spread sheet creation require no
books what-so-ever. You have menus, you have toolbars, you have F1 for
searchable help ;)

Explaining the purpose of those three most 10yr olds can teach
themselves almost any application given a few set of rules of what the
OUTCOME is to look like, and what 'pieces' of the applications puzzle
they should be required to use in order to complete the given task.

I know it doesn't help us when the NAD requires us to demonstrate what
curriculum we utilized ;)

The books mentioned at http://getopenoffice.org can be found here:
http://www.cafepress.com/getopenoffice/1040958

I have Core Office Suite, Comprehensive Writer, Comprehensive Impress &
Draw...and they are similar to the Southwestern books...although the
versions I have aren't nearly as glossy eye-candyish.

--Huck