[K12OSN] Open Office

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Fri Sep 22 11:45:55 UTC 2006

A couple of very short comments:
1) Especially for K-5 and most ordinary word-processing, AbiWord is fast
and fits the bill. It's very ltsp friendly: loads fast, small foot
print. We highly recommend it.

2) To those who insist that MS Word be taught specifically - Office
'07/Vista will be probably a bigger change from Office XP than OO is.
But more importantly, a lot of kids won't be in the workforce for
another 5,10,15 years. Think how useful it would be to be leaving
college now with an intimate knowledge of Word Perfect or Word 5.0? (Not
that there aren't places that still use it.) There is the significant
probability that students will be using web based WP such as writely,
zohowriter or the generation of WP after that. It's the concepts they
must understand, not where the icons or menu items are.

regards,
William Fragakis
morrisbrandon.com