[K12OSN] Open Office

Bob McCaa rmccaa at tiu11.org
Fri Sep 22 13:40:54 UTC 2006

This has been a contention point in our district over the adoption of
OSS:  Applications vs. Concepts.

Our Technology Coordinator feels that "the world" uses Microsoft
products, so that is what we should teach.  "Word Processing" means
using Microsoft Word, "Spreadsheets" means using Microsoft Excel, and
"Database" means using Microsoft Access.

I believe in teaching the concepts:  If you teach the concept over the
application, the concept will carry over to the next generation when the
application is invalidated by time.

What happens when the student graduates, gets a job, and the employer is
running Linux to reduce the TCO?