[K12OSN] drive image

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Wed Sep 27 06:58:18 UTC 2006

Ray Garza wrote:
> Has anyone imaged the hard drive as a means of backing up the system (non-raid
> systems)? If so, what software was used?
>
> I was wondering Norton Ghost can image a linux formatted drive. Anyone tried
> that?
>
> Ray

I've used Norton ghost to image some CentOS box's I've got this year and it works fine. Did try it
last year with a Fedora Core 3 box but ghost couldn't handle it, when I googled for it there was
something about not having a spare extend partition available on the drive (or something sorry bit
unclear on this was last year *grin*) I ended up using g4u (http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/) and that was
OK with Fedora Core 3, all I had to do was setup a ftp server on the same machine as I had ghost
(Windows 2000 Server) and away it went.

Brian