[K12OSN] tuxtype superslow on 12 gig ram server -K12LTSP

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Sep 27 12:05:47 UTC 2006

The same thing happens with several of the arcade style games (tuxtype,
tuxmath,...). The game code has timing loops built in. So each fat
client screen refresh may take 20 loops of "wait". Now time-slice that
up between 20 thin clients and each screen refresh expands to be 20
times too long. The code just makes a loop for each client and has no
means of checking the elapsed time between loops.

Solution: At the moment, there isn't one for situations where the code
runs from the server. If a process exists to allow only certain
applications to run on the clients directly, that would solve the
problem (assuming the clients have the RAM to do that). The real
solution is some programming work to that adds in a few checks on loop
timing once the game is running.

Barring that, the faster the cpu(s) the better it runs under load.