[K12OSN] RE: DHCP not working with 4.2.2.EL

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 28 00:08:03 UTC 2006

Hi Ted,

It sounds like the dhcp service is no longer running after the upgrade.

First check to see if it will start:
/etc/init.d/dhcpd restart  This should give a "failed" on the stop part
and an "OK" on the start.

If the clients boot OK now, just make sure it will start after a reboot:
/sbin/chkconfig --list dhcpd

you should see something like:
dhcpd           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

if you see:
dhcpd           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

or an off next to 3: or 5: just run:
/sbin/chkconfig dhcpd on

If the clients won't start after you make sure the dhcpd is running
check the firewall. An insecure but simple test is to turn off the
firewall:

/etc/init.d/iptables stop

Then retry the clients. If they start, the upgrade twiddled with the
firewall settings. You will need to allow incoming connections from the
port running dhcpd (eth0 ?). You can use the gui in webmin to fix this
or just edit the file /etc/sysconfig/iptables and restart the firewall.

You will need to be careful and make a copy of this file first. Unless
you are on the console or have a script to reset the firewall back if
you don't do something after a certain time, you can lock yourself out
of the system if you do this remotely and make a mistake (gee! - first
hand experience :) It's one thing when the box is down the hall. It's
something else entirely when it's many hundreds of miles away in a colo
center :)