[K12OSN] power outage problem

Daniel Kuecker kueckerd at shenandoah.k12.ia.us
Thu Sep 28 13:54:03 UTC 2006

I did reboot the server today, and chose the older kernel. i think it was 2.6.15 and now it works fine. the newer kernel on the server was causing the problem! thanks for the input. it saved me! ;-)

On 9/27/06, Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:

> I had a report exactly like this from one of my schools that has a
> Gateway 955 server (re- badged Intel dual Xeon rack mount server).
>

> The problem appears to be with the latest kernel update
> (kernel- smp- 2.6.17- 1.2187_FC5). When the school rebooted with the
> previous kernel (kernel- smp- 2.6.17- 1.2174_FC5), the problem disappeared.

Interesting ....

I have access to 3 Athlon64- based machines. The 2 which run 32- bit
Core 5 lock up about 10 seconds after the boot phase is finished IF I
select that 2187 kernel, but run just fine on the 2174 kernel. Adding
"noapic" to the "kernel" line in grub.conf makes no difference, FWIW.

The 64- bit OS system is OK with 2187

Anyway, it sounds like I'm not the only one with a problem with the
new kernel, and it's not just Athlon- related.

Calvin