[K12OSN] Server Planning

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Thu Sep 28 16:41:42 UTC 2006

Logged on and active or just logged on?

Also, the apps they run will make a difference - OOFF (I just made that
up - Open Office and Firefox) or more graphics intensive apps such as
Flash-based games, Tux*, etc.

In running numbers, we've found that a handful of smaller servers isn't
much more than a humongous server. The big advantage to a few servers is
having some overhead room if a server goes down, you can spread the
clients to other servers until you get the repair done. Things do go
wrong and usually at the worst possible moment.

regards,
William