[K12OSN] LTSP not supporting LCD refresh rates

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 28 21:51:45 UTC 2006

Try those using the window mode. Full-screen mode is an issue with LCD
monitors.

run the launching command from a terminal with "--help" added to the
end. It will show you the command line options available. Sometimes it's
"-w" and other times it's "--window". Once you know, there are two ways
to go:

The permanent way is to create a small shell script in /usr/local/bin
for each one and name it the normal name of the launching command. That
script should look like :

#!/bin/sh

childsplay-window --window

(I'm using tuxtype for the example)

Now rename the childsplay binary to childsplay-window

mv /usr/bin/childsplay /usr/bin/childsplay-window

and make a link from the new script to the old name and location (this
covers a weird $PATH variable)

ln -s /usr/local/bin/childsplay /usr/bin/childsplay

Now it will always launch in a window.

You can also change the launcher command line to include the --window
The only thing with that is if they right click on it, so can they !
(unless you have the desktop settings root owned and world read but no
write)