[K12OSN] Teacher access to teacher tool

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Sep 2 03:20:42 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 16:17 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> On 9/1/06, James P. Kinney III <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
>         On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 14:08 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>
>         >
>         >
>         >         Any suggestions?
>

>         TeacherTool is blowing away the folks in Atlanta!
>
>         Watching the look as we launched 23 simultaneous copies of
>         OpenOffice with one button click was priceless!
>
>         The speedup with the IP address only (instead of the hostname)
>         I am
>           willing to sacrifice in favor of the hostname list and a way
>         to filter
>         the list. We are going to have 150-180 thin clients per server
>         (Big
>         Servers!) and the fun of a teacher accidentally logging out a
>         student
>         in another room is not something I want to play with :)
>

> Hmm. This is an issue when you have big servers.  Without doing big
> additions to my code :) I have a couple of ideas.
>
> 1) Not sure if each student has their own username but if they are
> just using generic logins like comp1, comp2, comp3, etc then you can
> differentiate with usernames like Acomp1, Bcomp1, Ccomp1, etc where
> A,B,C stand for different rooms. Fl_TT will sort alphabetically so all
> students in room A will be in one solid block in the list.

We have a mix of autologon by machine name and individual logon that
will track the student through the school (Middle school kids change
classes). So for the most part, sorting by logon name will be a
challenge.

> 2)I just thought of this but it's kind of tricky since dhcp gives out
> ip's dynamically. If you can manage to tie an ip address to a specific
> mac address (client machine) you could potentially make each machine
> according to their mac address (and therefore location or classroom)
> start a tiny little program at login that does nothing and takes up
> almost no memory. The important aspect would be the name of the
> program. Call it "classA" for all computers in room A. I think you get
> the idea. So you could therebye use the FIND button in Fl_TT to select
> only those users who are in room A by typing "classA" and hitting
> FIND. You could then broadcast, logout, whatever and only affect the
> kids in your room.

We are doing fixed address dhcp. We have a host name scheme based on
room number ans workstation number (i.e. rm114ws05). This is why I was
thinking about the filtering ability.

>         I have tweaked the source files and have the hostname back on.
>         If you
>         have any suggestions on a best way to implement a filter
>         ("show only
>         hostnames that begin with foo") I'll look at a patch.
>
> I'm not sure why ip is less useful than hostnames since by default an
> ip of say MailScanner warning: numerical links are often
> malicious:192.168.0.252 translates to ws252.ltsp. Since Fl_TT can't
> access another K12LTSP server the .ltsp part of the hostname should
> always be the same.

Well, the last version I was using (what shipped with K12LTSP v. 5.0.0)
had the IP only code and didn't display the host name for the clients.
That works for (I can think in hex on good days. I dream in perl. I need
help! :) I was thinking about potentially 4000 teachers seeing dotted
quads and having to be trained to see all that in the room. We will be
labeling the screen very visibly but text makes more sense to them that
IP addresses.

I was looking at the line that produces the list of machines and took
out the "-n" to regain the host names. As the names will be in
the /etc/hosts file it's a fast enough lookup. So now I'm looking at a
wrapper script that asks for the room number on launch and then uses
that to only display machines with that string in it. It's a bit of a
kludge as it requires a) a fixed implementation of room number in the
host name and b) it requires more input from the teachers on start up.

If I can get thin clients in front of the teachers, I can name them in a
similar way (rm103ts01) and then the wrapper script can simply read the
hostname of the launching system and display the matching clients.

Basically the wrapper script just passes the string to the main app that
will be used to match the hostnames with. There will be a modification
to the actual teachertool to accommodate being passed a variable and to
do a grep on the list. Once I have it working, I'll send a patch.

>         Also needed is a way to refresh the machine list without
>         having to
>         restart the tool.
>
> Just click on the Users button whenever you want a refreshed list. No
> need to restart.

Ah! Many thanks!