[K12OSN] OT: Moodle vs Plone

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Mon Sep 4 18:17:58 UTC 2006

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> Can someone give me a brief comparison of Moodle vs Plone for
> school dept. (math, science, etc) websites.

Just read the respective websites. Both have one-line descriptions on
their sites.

Moodle: "Moodle is a course management system (CMS) - a free, Open
Source software package designed using sound pedagogical principles,
to help educators create effective online learning communities."
http://moodle.org/

Plone: "Plone is a user-friendly powerful content management system -
ideal as an intranet and extranet server, as a document publishing
system, a portal server and as a groupware tool for collaboration
between separately located entities."
http://plone.org/products/plone

Plone is a general purpose content management system, while Moodle is
especially geared towards course management.

Nils Breunese.