[K12OSN] SSHFS and Open Office - two separate issues

Bert Rolston bert.rolston at clear.net.nz
Tue Sep 5 01:42:06 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

Thanks for the help with SMB4K, sshfs, and accessing file on my SAMBA
server from my Linux desktop.

I've just about got it all working the way I want.

I've gone with sshfs because it allows the file system access that I
want. Unfortunately I can't get it to force user ID's the way SAMBA
does. Which leads to my first question -

"How do you force the user to be someone else when a file is created
while accessing files using sshfs, e.g. bert is the user that logs in
and accesses a file in public folder, but all files should remain
user=public, group=public?"

My second question is how to automate the sshfs connection process, so
that it sort of simulates a login script, and automagically mounts the
server folders into my local file system? I've tried generating a
public/private key, but it isn't working.

===============================
PART TWO

Upon further investigation, I have found that I CAN open some files
across the network using KONQUEROR / FISH.

Scribus files are O.K. but the graphics links are messed up, even though
the graphic is in the same folder as the document.

I can open and modify KDISSERT file without any problems.

BUT.............

When I try to work on an Open Office document OO will start to load then
times out.

Does the speed of my network effect OO.

I'm cash strapped, so I am using an old 10 meg hub. We only have 3
workstations and the server on the network.

I also load over 200 fonts on my machine, could this be a factor?

I need to resolve these issues by Friday.

I receive the list mail in digest form, so if you could reply directly
to me as well as the list I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bert