[K12OSN] I need help with the following smbldap errors.

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 16:49:31 UTC 2006

----- Original Message ----

I had something similar happen to me last week.

1) A week ago I used Matt's smbldap-installer to create and setup LDAP with Windows and Linux clients all authenticating okay.
2) I ran yumex and updated everything that was updateable. (big mistake)
3) Tried to add a user using smbldap-useradd and got an error message similar to yours.

When I'd used yumex to update everything, "everything" included newer versions of smbldap-tools and various perl scripts included with Matt's installer.  The update seemed to have rendered all the smbldap scripts useless.  After trying (and failing) at various attempts to get the scripts working, including removing the various scripts updated by yum, I spent last weekend completely reinstalling K12LTSP v5 and then re-running smbldap-installer.

Lesson learned the hard way: Don't let yum (or yumex) update anything related smbldap.

It's likely that someone more knowledgeable could have corrected the smbldap setup without having to resort to reinstalling everything.  I certainly chose a drastic solution.  But if nothing else, I had just enough time to do a reinstallation before school was set to start (which actually happened today).

David Whitmer
Calvary Schools of Holland, Michigan