[K12OSN] tar to take an image for checkpointing

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Sep 6 01:50:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 18:43, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Matt Oquist wrote:
> >> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:19:28 -0400
> >> From: "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm at htt-consult.com>
> >> Subject: [K12OSN] Got to rebulid -- how to take an image for checkpointing
> >>
> >> So how can I take a real good snap shot of my drive.  I would want
> >> something like GHOST where I would boot from CD and image to a USB
> >> harddrive or network drive....
> >>

> > With a (p)OS like Windows(TM), you need a "ghosting" program because
> > the system has loads of secret binary data that keep it from working
> > if you just copy the filesystem contents of the OS to another system.
> > Thankfully, Linux is part of the UNIX tradition and the entire system
> > is portable.
> >
> > 1. To create a complete, compressed, ready-to-roll system backup on a remote system:
> > $ cd /
> > $ tar czvf - / | ssh user at remotehost "cat > systembackup.tgz"
> This hung on /media/cdrom
>
> So I need a -T option with a file listing the desired diretories?

I always do a 'df' or 'mount' first to note the filesystems that
I want to save, then repeat the command for each one (with a
different destination name, of course) using the
--one-file-system option to tar (or rsync, etc.).  This keeps
it from walking into /proc and and nfs or iso mount points
that it might encounter.  You do have to be careful not to
miss anything, though.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com