[K12OSN] OOo Impress crashes with LTSP v4.2

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Wed Sep 6 03:13:18 UTC 2006

I accidentally found a work around for Gcompris and Childsplay instead
of windowing them. I've done it on a sample size of 1 type of
motherboard so it's not widely tested.

Those two programs like to reset the resolution when they go to full
screen and Childsplay resisted by simple attempts to window (by adding
the switch" -w" -no quotes- in the launcher. This really just stumped us
on lcd screens as they had tighter tolerances on what
resolutions/refresh rates they would run. CRTs would launch fine but
with lcds and laptops (used as thin clients) we'd have to escape the
programs blind.

When I locked the screen resolution via the lts.conf file (by
specifying, say 1024 x 768) the issue went away. I haven't had time to
try other stations, these were Thinkpads with ATI video cards, but I'd
be optimistic that it would solve the issue with at least these two
programs.

My personal, home k12ltsp workstation running ver. 5 runs Impress full
screen presentations fine. But, it, too, has the rez specified in the
lts.conf file.

Hope this helps,
William Fragakis
morrisbrandon.com