[K12OSN] Thunderbird can send but not receive

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Sep 6 14:02:39 UTC 2006

Does Tbird give any errors when it tries to retrieve mail?  Where is the mail delivered
to?  That is, something is acting as a mail server, receiving messages on port 25.  Is
this the LTSP server or some other box?  If it's the LTSP server, try telnetting to port
25 and issuing the SMTP commands by hand (look up SMTP commands on google, they're
pretty simple).  Thunderbird will pull the mail from the local mail store using POP3
(port 110), so see if you can telnet to port 110 and get messages manually (look up POP3
commands on google, they're also simple).

If mail is delivered to another box, use the above commands to test talking to it to see
if everything is okay on that machine.  Let us know how you make out.

Petre