[K12OSN] OT: OSX error writing to SMB Drop folders

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Sep 6 15:38:56 UTC 2006

I am trying to move all OSX clients away from using appletalk (netatalk) to
connect to the main Linux File server (FC5).  Everything is setup as it was in
the past, same permissions, I just turned off netatalk on the server (smb was
always running for Windows clients).  Linux clients and Windows clients can
connect to the /home/Drop/Teacher/class folders and drop just fine, OSX 10.4
gets a permission error saying it cannot write to the folders.  I can browse
to the class folder fine, but cannot write to it.  Permissions on the /class
folder are 773, the teacher is the owner and the group to the folder.  The
students are supposed to only be able to write to the folder, but not browse
or delete files from it.  Everything still works fine under appletalk, and
works fine under smb with Linux and Windows, but OSX has the insufficient
priveleges to write error.

Any ideas?  Is this a OSX bug?  I have tried Googling and have not had any
luck yet.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department