[K12OSN] collect stats

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Sep 6 16:05:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 10:38 -0500, Ray Garza wrote:

> > > Is there a way to collect some simple stats on a per day basis such as
> > > total number of logins and number of unique users logged in that day?
> >
> > If you install cacti (http://www.cacti.net), logged-in users is one
> > of the things you can graph on the local host.   It is also good for
> > watching trends in bandwidth and CPU usage with it can get via snmp
> > from remote hosts or routers.
>
> Hmm, that seem over kill for what I need at the moment but I could use it on
> another network. Does it run under OpenBSD? Can it get bandwidth trends from
> a cisco router (assuming I turn on SNMP on it)?

It is probably easier on a fedora/RH system where the RPM package is
available but it should work on anything with apache/php.  (I don't
think I'd trust it to be accessed directly from the internet though).
It does work with routers and snmp for bandwidth - even switch ports
if you have managed switches, but I think the logged in users value
is only available from the host where cacti runs.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com