[K12OSN] smbldap disable group? (more)

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Sep 6 19:13:57 UTC 2006

Continuing on....smbldap-installer and the various tools included allow
for you to set a different path for a user's home directory.  Some schools
create groups by YOG and then create the home directories in the same
manner  /home/2007/username.  This makes it easy to manage and script
tasks for specific groups.  When creating these generic accounts you could
specify a special path for these accounts like

/home/generic/username

Then you could write a script like this:

!#/bin/bash
for x in `ls /home/generic`; do
echo "Purging the home directory of $x ..."
rm -Rf /home/generic/${x}/*
cd /gold-lib
/bin/cp -Rf * /home/generic/${x}
chown -R ${x}:Group /home/generic/${x}   # Put your own group where
"Group" is
done

This is a little more sophisticated, but a helluva' lot easier to
manage...especially if you have hundreds of generic accounts.