[K12OSN] most terminals unab;e to connect after yum update

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Fri Sep 8 18:15:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, William Fragakis wrote:

> go through the trouble-shooting steps on wiki.ltsp.org for x on gray
> screen
>
> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Troubleshooting-GrayScreen
>
> occasionally, if you use the fedora repositories, your gdm.conf file
> gets overwritten with the standard Fedora file which closes the relevant
> port for xdmcp (iirc, 177). The other files for xdm (again, iirc)
> xdm-confif and Xaccess may have been affected too.
>
> you'll need to restart xdm afterwards to get things going. No worries,
> though, it's not a big one to sort out.
>
> regards,
> William Fragakis
> morrisbrandon.com
> On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 12:00 -0400, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> >
> > Message: 4
> > Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 10:34:57 -0400
> > From: Julius Szelagiewicz <julius at turtle.com>
> > Subject: [K12OSN] most terminals unab;e to connect after yum update
> > To: k12osn at redhat.com
> >
> > Dear Folks,
> >   this has really stumped me and it is an emergency: I did yum
> > update
> > on k12 v5 production server yesterday. After reboot (to the old
> > kernel), most terminals get a beautiful X on the screen. The few
> > that
> > got login screens took several minutes to display desktop. The
> > logged
> > in users have no further problems. 26 terminals just don't want to
> > come up. All worked before update!
> > I checked the custom.conf file - looks just fine, lts.conf has a
> > single config for all terminals.
> >
> > The users are beginning to riot an are asking for "dependable
> > windows". Thanks, julius

William,
	it -would- be easy to troubleshoot if -all- the terminals got a
big fat X. It isn't all that easy, for me, that is, to figure out why some
get the login screen and then proceed to desktop very, very slowly ... and
i did go through the "standard grey screen of life" troubleshooting :-)
julius