[K12OSN] most terminals unab;e to connect after yum update

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Fri Sep 8 19:27:06 UTC 2006

> You using gdm or kdm?  I only ask because a couple years ago I had a
> probelm very similar that for some reason only affected Compaq machines,
> and switching to gdm made the difference.
>
> "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
> writes:
>>On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, William Fragakis wrote:
>>
>>> go through the trouble-shooting steps on wiki.ltsp.org for x on gray
>>> screen
>>>
>>> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Troubleshooting-GrayScreen
>>>
>>> occasionally, if you use the fedora repositories, your gdm.conf file
>>> gets overwritten with the standard Fedora file which closes the
>>> relevant
>>> port for xdmcp (iirc, 177). The other files for xdm (again, iirc)
>>> xdm-confif and Xaccess may have been affected too.
>>>
>>> you'll need to restart xdm afterwards to get things going. No worries,
>>> though, it's not a big one to sort out.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> William Fragakis
>>> morrisbrandon.com

>>William,
>>	it -would- be easy to troubleshoot if -all- the terminals got a
>>big fat X. It isn't all that easy, for me, that is, to figure out why
>> some
>>get the login screen and then proceed to desktop very, very slowly ...
>> and
>>i did go through the "standard grey screen of life" troubleshooting :-)
>>julius

I've been using gdm. I checked all the config files I could think of and
everything appears to be fine. The weirdness is that some stations work
and some don't and they are identical. I even checked for flipped network
connections (that happens sometimes at kernel upgrades). I' really
stumped, and that one is a very, very bad one.
julius