[K12OSN] most terminals unab;e to connect after yum update

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Fri Sep 8 21:05:08 UTC 2006

> On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 14:15 -0400, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
>> 	it -would- be easy to troubleshoot if -all- the terminals got a
>> big fat X. It isn't all that easy, for me, that is, to figure out why
>> some
>> get the login screen and then proceed to desktop very, very slowly ...
>> and
>> i did go through the "standard grey screen of life" troubleshooting :-)
>
> Things that happen very slowly make me think 'DNS server' first and
> full/half duplex NIC/switch mismatch next.  Have you already checked
> those things?  Does rebooting to your previous kernel make a difference?
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

Les,
 DNS appears to work ok - "dig www.ge.com" returns data instantly. There
were -no- hardware changes or moves and I'm running the old kernel,
because I did notice on my test server, that after reboot with new kernel
eth0 and eth1 were reversed. (tested for that too).
 Part of the problem is the distance of 2K miles.
 I'm sure it is something silly, or a new bug introduced by upgrade ;-)
julius