[K12OSN] Getting MPlayer installed

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 14:59:32 UTC 2006

On 9/8/06, jconlon1 at elp.rr.com <jconlon1 at elp.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm working with the server because my terminals are all being used by
> students.
> I'm using the onboard chip which from the MB manual is a VIA KT-400 /
> KT-8235 chipset.  Beyond that I can't tell more there is a cooling fan
> mounted on top in a manner that looks rather permenant.  I've tried to
> catch the info on screen as the server starts but I can't get screen
> lock pushed fast enough.

You can run "lspci", which will tell you what video chipset is in use.

For example, when I do this, the output includes the following line:

02:06.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4
MX 4000 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

So then I run "lspci -n |grep 02:06.0", and get:

02:06.0 0300: 10de:0185 (rev c1)

That tells me the vendor and model (10de is Nvidia's ID).

So what are the vendor and model numbers for your video chipset?

Calvin