[K12OSN] K12LTSP won't LTSP

John Hawley jhawley at hissingdragon.net
Sun Sep 10 19:23:41 UTC 2006

Huck wrote:
> sonjag at comcast.net wrote:
>> Early warning: I'm a newbie!
>>
>> I'm trying to set up my K12LTSP server. It's brand new (last year I
>> ran a small number of clients on an old server.) I loaded v5 and all
>> seemed fine until I tried to get clients up and running. The LTSP box
>> is running DHCP, so I know clients can find it, but when it comes to
>> getting the LTSP, nothing's happening.
>>> From the Fedora doc, I found this:
>>
>> By default the LTSP sever runs DHCP on the client's card (eth0) and
>> automatically gives out IP #'s upon request. It then accepts bootp
>> and PXE boot requests and passes on the Linux kernel to the client.
>>
>> So I think that means that DHCP and PXE both run on eth0, so the
>> card's working. Maybe not.
>>
>> I remember someone (David Trask maybe?) mentioning that you want to
>> have 2 really different ethernet ports or you might have problems.
>> This server has 2 built in Intel gig ethernet ports. Maybe this is
>> the problem. I just don't know how to troubleshoot it.
>
> If there are two ethernet ports...
> try typing this as root as the commandline
>
> 'ifconfig'
>
> see if it shows settings for eth0 and eth1.
>
> if so...then perhaps you merely need to plug in a network cable from
> eth0 to the switch your thin clients are plugged into.
>
> and plug eth1 into your primary network.

I believe the more elegant solution to the problem of the system
assigning the network device name to the wrong interface (or at least
different than it used to) is to specify exactly what you want in
/etc/iftab ... (in Debian, anyway)

jhawley at steelix:~$ cat /etc/iftab
# This file assigns persistent names to network interfaces.
# See iftab(5) for syntax.

eth0 mac 00:40:05:39:01:57 arp 1
eth1 mac 00:05:5d:d0:82:d7 arp 1

~jh