[K12OSN] problem with K12LTSP 5.0.0

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 18:19:43 UTC 2006

On 9/17/06, Helton Uchoa <uchoa at geolivre.org.br> wrote:

>  Now I'll try update the kernel to solve this problem (maybe a bug). Anyone
> try to install the K12LTSP 5.0.0 on a computer with Sata?
>
>  I don't know how I can update the kernel before the boot to solve the
> problem. The lastest version of kernel is
> kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.i686.rpm

Have you tried disabling APIC? I ask because my original FC5 install
worked fine, then hung up partway in the booting process after a
kernel upgrade. After copying dmesg output from both bootups, I
realized APIC was disabled by default in the older kernel, and enabled
in the new one. I disabled apic in /etc/grub.conf, and rebooted to the
new kernel without incident.

Since then APIC seems to have been fixed (at least on the systems I
use), and I've enabled it again.

At any rate, edit the grub "kernel" line (as described in Sudev's
email), and add "noapic".  If that doesn't do the job, reboot and
disable the SATA port by adding "ide3=noprobe" to the "kernel" line.
You might also do "ide2=noprobe" (your onboard PATA interfaces should
be ide0 and ide1).

If that doesn't do the trick, does it work with a Fedora rescue CD?
IF so, then:

1) Boot with rescue CD.
2) Copy latest kernel RPM to filesystem
3) chroot /mnt/sysimage
4) install rpm
5) reboot

If it won't boot from the rescue CD, then try some other boot CD (like
Knoppix). I _think_ you'd do something like the following.

1) Mount filesystems in same hierarchy as installed system (i.e.,
mount root partition, then mount other partitions on appropriate
points in mounted system).  This gets a little involved if your system
uses LVM (Knoppix, at least, doesn't automatically mount LVM volumes).
2) Unpack latest kernel RPM
  a) cd /tmp
  b) rpm2cpio <kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.i686.rpm|cpio -i --make-directories
  c) rsync -a /tmp/boot/ YOURBOOTDIR/
  d) rsync -a /tmp/lib YOURROOTDIR/
3) chroot YOURROOTDIR
4) cd boot
5) mkinitrd initrd-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.img
6) edit /boot/grub.conf, and add a boot menu item for the 2187 kernel
(use existing menu item as a guide)
7) Cross fingers (and/or pray)
8) reboot

Calvin