[K12OSN] yum / CPAN

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Mon Sep 18 13:45:16 UTC 2006

Michael Blinn wrote:

>  On a yum update, I'm getting errors for some perl modules. I'm
> thinking this is because I used ran perl's CPAN to do some updates.
> However, I'm not sure how to use the CPAN shell to remove a
> package, such as Unicode, so that my yum works again. Any pointers?
> -Michael
>

> Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/share/man/man1/map.1.gz from
> install of perl-Unicode-Map-0.112-7.fc5 conflicts with file from
> package perl-Unicode-Map-0.112-0.1.fc2.dag
>  file /usr/share/man/man1/mkmapfile.1.gz from install of perl-
> Unicode-Map-0.112-7.fc5 conflicts with file from package perl-
> Unicode-Map-0.112-0.1.fc2.dag
>  file /usr/share/man/man3/Unicode::Map.3pm.gz from install of perl-
> Unicode-Map-0.112-7.fc5 conflicts with file from package perl-
> Unicode-Map-0.112-0.1.fc2.dag
>  file /usr/share/man/man1/umap.1.gz from install of perl-Unicode-
> Map8-0.12-7.fc5 conflicts with file from package perl-Unicode-
> Map8-0.12-0.1.fc2.dag
>  file /usr/share/man/man3/Unicode::Map8.3pm.gz from install of perl-
> Unicode-Map8-0.12-7.fc5 conflicts with file from package perl-
> Unicode-Map8-0.12-0.1.fc2.dag
>  file /usr/share/man/man3/Unicode::CharName.3pm.gz from install of
> perl-Unicode-String-2.09-1.fc5 conflicts with file from package
> perl-Unicode-String-2.07-0.1.fc2.dag
>  file /usr/share/man/man3/Unicode::String.3pm.gz from install of
> perl-Unicode-String-2.09-1.fc5 conflicts with file from package
> perl-Unicode-String-2.07-0.1.fc2.dag
> [root at ltsp etc]#

I don't think this is a CPAN problem, as yum is reporting a conflict
between two packages. Stuff installed directly through the CPAN shell
is not part of an rpm package, so yum cannot possibly know anything
about it. Looking at your output it seems you have a conflict between
two perl-Unicode-Map packages; one for Fedora Core 2 from Dag's
repository (perl-Unicode-Map-0.112-0.1.fc2.dag) and one from Fedora
Core 5 (perl-Unicode-Map-0.112-7.fc5).

Are you running FC5 or FC2? If you're running FC5 you should probably
also update your Dag info to point at his FC5 repository or remove
the Dag channel completely and uninstall package perl-Unicode-
Map-0.112-0.1.fc2.dag and then install FC5's version (if you need
package perl-Unicode-Map at all that is).

Nils Breunese.