[K12OSN] Linux disk utility

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Sep 18 18:12:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:00:44 -0700, Huck wrote
> try running 'badblocks'

Thanks Huck.  I quick did a google search of badblocks and found this man page
for it:

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/badblocks.8.html

It strongly recommended not running badblocks directly, but through either
e2fsck or mke2fs with the -c option.  So I ran "mke2fs -vvc" and it scolded me
in large bold letters that running such utilities on a mounted file system
could severly damage the file system.....needless to say when asked to
continue anyway I chose no.

So it appears that in order to do complete tests as I would like I need to
bring this server offline.  I think I will have to hold off until maybe
Thanksgiving break to do so.  Hopefully it will make it until then and this
was just an annoying glitch.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.