[K12OSN] Trouble installing k12 v5

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Mon Sep 18 18:37:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Calvin Dodge wrote:

> On 9/18/06, Julius Szelagiewicz <julius at turtle.com> wrote:
> > Dear Folks,
> >         I am trying to install K12 v 5 on my new Sony laptop. The
> > installation (over NFS) goes fine in the beginning, does successful
> > dependency checks and hangs on "Starting install process. this may take
> > several minutes ..." Left it there for several hours, no progress.
> >         Any idea what it might be, where to look for errors, solutions?
> > Thanks, julius
>
> What is the exact laptop model?  That can help those of us who get our
> guru knowledge from Google. ;^)
>
> I have no knowledge of Sony-specific issues, but on general principles
> I'd try adding "noapic" to the command line at the first screen (the
> "press Enter to install" one).

I tried and retried and I noticed that hangups were not entirely
consistent. The images resided on my old laptop (running K12 v5), the
network cable connected to an IP phone, in turn connected to eth0 on the
server laptop. I moved the new laptop to another network with direct
connection to a switch and the install from another server went through
without a hitch.

The laptop is Sony Vaio VGN SZ240P, 3.5LB, Centrino Duo. It happily runs
SMP kernel and shows 2 processors happily chugging along.

Thanks for the help. I know I'm going to need more when I'll get into
setting up the wireless - new built in adapter

julius