Fwd: Re: [ok-mail] Re: [K12OSN] Problem with 5.0 and Cisco switch

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Sep 21 13:33:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 06:42, John Hansknecht wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 September 2006 17:58, Wilson Chan wrote:
> > Whoops...Hit the wrong key! Continued below:
> >
> > For the Cisco Switch you can disable spanning-tree on the port. Be sure to
> > only disable spanning-tree to ports connected to computers or you can
> > create some nasty spanning-tree loops in your network.
>
> I took a look at the function of 'spanning-tree' and I don't think this hits
> the problem. The issue is not that the location of the client changes, the
> MAC address is always connecting to the same port and always receiving the
> same IP. Does spanning tree slow the start up of a connection?

Yes, whenever a port activates on a switch, spanning tree checks
are done to be sure you are not introducing a loop among the
switches before activating it.  This can take 30 seconds or
more in a large network and must be completed before any
other traffic is allowed to pass.  If you know the connection
will be to a host instead of a switch you can disable
the check or set the 'portfast' mode where traffic is passed
normally while the check is completed.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com