[K12OSN] help! K12 server crashed and isnt coming back up!

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 21 21:55:23 UTC 2006

If the network services are up, then you can ssh into it and look
around. Check /var/log/messages and dmesg for clues. You can also reboot
and add "single" to the end of the grub boot line. This will let you get
into the box in single-user mode. From this you can turn off everything
from running in runlevel 5 by editing /etc/inittab and changing the
default runlevel to 3 instead of 5. This will allow networking but no
local X console.

If just the X stuff is crashing, it may just be a fouled up xorg.conf
file. Make a backup copy and edit the real one to use just the dumb vesa
driver at 16 bpp and 1024x768 . That will often get a working X setup
where you can then use the gui tools to rebuild things.

Since DHCP is down, and X is croaked there may be a network setup issue.
Be sure that the first line in /etc/hosts is "127.0.0.1 localhost".