[K12OSN] re: Bad magic on Winbind authentication (sonjag at comcast.net)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Tue Sep 26 20:55:35 UTC 2006

> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:31:13 +0000
> From: sonjag at comcast.net
> Subject: [K12OSN] Bad magic on Winbind authentication
>
> I am running Ubuntu with LTSP authenticating to ADS on a Windows 2003 server SP1. My windows side of the network is running fine. The Linux terminals are not able to login all users... weirdly, some can, some can't. In my log.winbindd-idmap file, I get a slew of entries similar to this:
>
> [2006/09/25 22:54:21, 0] tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(772)
>   tdb(/var/lib/samba/winbindd_idmap.tdb): rec_free_read bad magic 0x42424242 at offset=17476
>
> I have tried to add a user to the Linux machine and the new Linux users can't login either. I'm not sure if they should-- maybe Linux can only see its admin and ADS users.
>
> wbinfo -u gives me a list of all of my users, including those who can and can't login.
>
> Solutions I've seen around are deleting files in /var/lib/samba and restarting Winbind. Tried that, still not working. Any suggestions?

Winbind is built on reverse-engineering magic, so it's not surprising
to me that some of the magic is bad sometimes... nothing obvious is
coming to mind ATM.

Have you seen this?
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-October/113181.html
Unfortunately, it's one of those cases where I'm finding several
people who say "I have this problem!" and nobody who's saying "Here's
how to fix it..."

On a very related note, has anybody tried using Microsoft's Windows
Services for UNIX? As I understand it, MS has provided a solution for
this entire problem, and we seem to be studiously avoiding it in favor
of winbind, which seems to be a half-solution (when it works well).

I look at winbind like dual-booting -- it's much harder than just
switching to Linux authentication entirely, and yet newbies
(individuals or districts) feel compelled to use it because they
aren't ready to switch completely to Linux. Then it breaks or just
plain doesn't work, and it leaves a bad taste if you've been the one
gnashing your teeth on it.

If you're a seasoned Linux pro then it's no problem to fix
a bootloader or hack away at winbind until it behaves, but if you're
a seasoned Linux pro then it's less likely that you're dual booting or
using Windows ADS in the first place...

</rant></ramble>

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/