[K12OSN] power outage problem

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Sep 28 04:37:54 UTC 2006

Daniel Kuecker wrote:
> we had a power outage at our school. needles to say, i now have
> problems..  the ltsp server boots up. but when a client starts to
> boot off the server, i get a kernal panic on the server and it hard
> locks. i tailed to log file and booted a client, it seems to lock
> when formatting the nfs swap file. i am currently trying to convince
> the staff that the thin client is a real solution for us, but with
> previous problems in the pas out of my control, i dont need this! any
> suggestions?

I had a report exactly like this from one of my schools that has a
Gateway 955 server (re-badged Intel dual Xeon rack mount server).

The problem appears to be with the latest kernel update
(kernel-smp-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5). When the school rebooted with the
previous kernel (kernel-smp-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5), the problem disappeared.

So if your server is running kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5, try rebooting
with kernel 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5

If that fixes it, let me know and I'll open up a bug report.

My terminal server at work is exactly the same make/model as the one
that first saw this problem, but we haven't tried to reproduce the bug
yet. I'll try it tomorrow if I can get everyone to log out....

-Eric