[K12OSN] What causes "x server failed" messages?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Sep 29 13:42:30 UTC 2006

Assuming that when you say 'new' you mean your old server ran a previous version of
K12LTSP: The change in the version of X.org can break working old-PCs-as-clients.  I run
into this with each new major version, as I tend to run REALLY old video cards (I'm
cheap--it's the principle).  With the latest release, I've had to set

XSERVER = VESA

for more of my clients, and some require

X_VIDEORAM = 4096

in the lts.conf file.  There was discussion of this some months back; check the archives
for K12LTSP and LTSP.  I use Etherboot floppies; not sure about your ThinClientOS problem.

Petre