[K12OSN] off the shelf PC as Server

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Sep 29 14:11:53 UTC 2006

Did the in-house tech have his checkbook out to give you money to purchase a non
'obsolete' server?  I think you're being very practical by _starting_ with an
off-the-shelf box.  If the system works well for the limited number of clients, _then_
you can talk about spending more money for a bigger server or adding the the existing
server, to support more clients.  And won't it be nice to have to only upgrade one box
to provide services for a whole bunch of additional clients?

Sorry for the snooty tone, but I get really tired of hearing of people like your tech
who obviously don't know what they're talking about.  Reminds me of a logic puzzle I
encountered as a kid:

A husband and wife were planning to take a vacation by car.  In preparation, the husband
took the car to the local gas station to have the mechanic check it over to make sure
everything was in working order.  When he returned home, his wife asked how the car was.
  He replied, "Everything is fine, but the tires will only last 4000 more miles."  To
which the wife replied, "Our trip is 6000 miles.  That means we'll have to carry four
spare tires with us."  To which the husband replied, "That's not what I figured."

And the puzzle is to figure out how many spare tires are actually necessary.  The answer
is two: The couple buys two spare tires and puts them in the trunk.  They drive the
first 2000 miles of the trip on the existing tires.  Then they remove the front tires,
put them in the trunk, and put the new spares on the front.  Then they drive another
2000 miles.  Now the rear tires are exhausted of their 4000 miles, so those come off,
and the tires in the trunk, which can still go another 2000 miles, go on the rear.  And
they drive the last 2000 miles.

The point of the puzzle, in our context, is that the obvious answer isn't necessarily
the best answer.  Providing computers to people by buying everyone a fat client is the
obvious answer, but it isn't the best answer.  And when you look at the purchase,
management, maintenance, reliability, and disposal costs of fat clients, in many cases,
they are not even a viable answer.

Petre