[K12OSN] smbldap usage questions

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Mon Apr 2 21:47:09 UTC 2007

> Subject:
> [K12OSN] smbldap usage questions
> From:
> Rob Owens <rowens at ptd.net>
> Date:
> Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:31:52 -0400
> To:
> k12osn at redhat.com
>
> To:
> k12osn at redhat.com
>

> I've downloaded David Trask's how to and have read up on LDAP in
> general.  I have a couple questions:
>
> 1)  Is there a document somewhere that explains to dummies like me:
> exactly what will I have once I've completed all the steps in the
> how-to?
>
> 2)  It seems that there are no modifications necessary to the Windows
> clients, is this correct?  I was under the impression that I'd need to
> install pGina on all the Windows machines.

I've been using this setup for a couple of years now for my 700+ user
environment.  Everything on the Windows side pretty much works out of
the box.  Windows machines add to the domain natively and everything
else "just works."
> 3)  Is this setup capable of informing my users that their password will
> expire in x days?  And are there GUI tools to let my users easily change
> their passwords, or will they need to use the command line?

I still use the User Manager For Domains app. from an old NT box to
handle user management on the back end and the usual password changing
options on the Windows desktops work the same as they would using a
Windows PDC.  i.e. CTRL+ALT+DEL and select "Change Password."