[K12OSN] udev

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Wed Apr 4 12:25:39 UTC 2007

I am in the process of upgrading our ltsp servers from version 4.2 to version
6.0.0.  Before the upgrades, fout of the servers where running FC3 and four
running FC4, with all eight running ltsp 4.2.  Of course, after the upgrade
they all run FC6 and ltsp 6.0.0.

On what were the FC3 servers, thin client access of usb memory sticks works
fine.  On what was the FC4 servers, it doesn't.  When we insert a memory
stick into the thin client, we see the usb icon on the desktop, but when we
click it, there are no files displayed.

If I have a thin client served by what was an FC3 server, we see the following
messages in /var/log/messages (on the server):
Apr  4 12:50:04 ws076.ltsp root: udev detected add of disk
Apr  4 12:50:35 ws076.ltsp root: udev detected remove of disk

These messages are absent on those servers where usb memory stick access isn't
working.  Obviously we have something different between the servers but I
can't figure out what it is.

Has anyone any ideas of how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation