[K12OSN] How to access Gnome-mounted servers?

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Wed Apr 4 17:14:48 UTC 2007

Alex deVries wrote:
> Dan Young wrote:
>> Peter Scheie wrote:
>>> We put users' public ssh keys onto cat so no password was needed. Then
>>> we just put an icon on the desktop that calls the script. I imagine the
>>> wdfs would work similarly.
>>
>> How would you handle authentication? Looks like you'd have to pass in a
>> password either interactively or as an arg to wdfs.
>>

> FYI: in afpfs-ng-0.4.1, you don't have to give the password as a
> parameter (as this is insecure).  If you use:
>
> afp_client mount -u myusername -p - server:volume /mountpoint
>
> It will prompt you for your password.
>
> I'm concentrating on getting a gnome-vfs2 implementation for afpfs-ng
> so that it will all be seamlessly integrated into nautilus.
>
> - Alex

Is passing it as a parameter really less secure than having afp_client
prompt for the password?  Where is the vulnerability?  In our case we
have a script that the users call that pops up a GUI prompt for the PW
and then the script passes the PW as a parameter.  From a security
standpoint, is this really any different than letting afp_client prompt
for the PW?

Petre