[K12OSN] can't get sound on Dell GX1's using K12LTSP v 5

Jim Anderson jand689 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 23:08:42 UTC 2007

I've been trying to get sound without success.  I have a room full of Dell GX1 computers.  According to Dell's specs, and as confirmed with a Knoppix live CD, the sound chip is a CS4236.  I have changed my lts.conf to reflect this.  here's the relevant section:

# enable sound by default
        SOUND              = Y
        # choose either esd or nasd to be the default (esd only on x86_64)
    SOUND_DAEMON       = "esd"
    # SOUND_DAEMON     = "nasd"

        # default sound volume
        VOLUME             = 75

        ### For ISA sound cards, you have to specify the module to use:
        SMODULE_01       = "snd-cs4236"
# io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"

I don't know the io and irq for the card, which is supposedly PnP.

The error the clients get at boot is:
/dev/dsp: no such file or directory

There is no /dev/dsp directory.  I have various sound apps installed but obviously they are not working.
Help!

Jim Anderson,
The Cornerstone Residence,
Safe Harbors of the Hudson

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time